Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Answer Boards

Slamming the boards? Sounds uncharacteristically violent for librarians, doesn't it? (Although, the next time someone asks me what I do and then says 'oh, that's nice, you must read books all day'...)

One thing about the answer boards: as soon as I saw some of the questions, I had a sudden and enormous love for the reference interview. People often just aren't that good at framing their question well.

Or spelling it well.

Or at all.

Or spending two brain cells and the common sense given to the average chicken at perhaps having a stab at the answer themselves.

Ahem. Sorry. That whistling noise you may have heard was the vent. But seriously, I don't think of myself as a grammar nazi or anything, but when you see something like this, you're not supposed to take it as a challenge.

I think librarians participating in these answer boards is a fantastic idea, by the way. It's one of those activities that can be a little tricky because, while it's benefiting the profession as a whole, you're not likely to see statistically significant improvements in your immediate area as a result of it. I like to see an organisation be willing to take a bit risk on an activity or program for more than short-term payoffs. Much like 23 Things, really.

1 comment:

SashimiJunkie said...

I'm riding on your coat tails and yee-hawing like a banshee in support of your grammar/spelling Nazi tendencies, Lukie.