Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Passwords Aplenty

So, how's everyone been going with this 23 things, eh? (Sorry, went a bit Canadian there). One of the little issues that has cropped up for me in doing this has been the sudden proliferation of passwords. I have a big pile of them anyway- just about every site or service that allows you to post content is going to want one, for a start. It soon adds up.

After a little messing around, I've settled on a rough system. Sites where I'm not posting much content or that interested in get my 'generic' username and password, and a link to my hotmail account if I need a password reset or anything. Sites like blogger, where I'm spending a bit of effort, get a unique password. (That, incidentally, is one of the reasons I like Google so much: Reader, G-mail, everything all with one login. Nice)

So what does everyone else do? Has anyone tried one of those 'password list' applications? I'm open to suggestions for a better way of organising this. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Sleepydumpling said...

I have two types of passwords. Secure ones and super-secure ones. Super-secure ones are for my banking, tax etc. Same password, slightly changed each time.

Secure ones... which is everything else... just get the same password. If anyone ever cracked my nutty code of passwords, they'd have access to every email account, blog, photo account... you name it! But I doubt anyone could work out my weirdness.

Nerd of the Library said...

I have been using the same password for absolutely everything that I do in 23 Things. I have used an obscure word, combined with an obscure number combination, as these are the most secure types of passwords (as you know).
Secondly, like Sleepy, I DON'T use the 23 Things passwords for private things, like banking and Groupwise.
I empathize with the confusion over passwords. My confusion has come about in 23 Things with all the different usernames we have to create on 23 Things... thus I try to remain "Nerd of The Library" in all that I do within 23 Things(except of course on the Wiki because KR will kill you and eat your heart and drink your blood if you use anything but your real name on the BCC Wiki page. LOL! (Just kidding, KR) :-)
What I did was email myself every single password, webaddress, username, etc... and then put them in a Groupwise folder called 23 THINGS (subfolder: passwords). This works well.

from Nerd.

Fennelgirl said...

I used the same password for all of the 23 things related stuff too, and added a few capitals to (I hope) make it harder to work out.