Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ironically Del.icio.us

I like to think I'm a fairly bright person, you know? So why is it that I only really learn something when pain is involved?



I'd heard of del.icio.us but had never tried it. Too much bother, I thought. I can bookmark perfectly well in Firefox, I can't think of anyone who'd be interested in my bookmarks anyway...well, not unless I had an unusually shy stalker.



I figured out one reason to use it, though, when I stuffed up my computer trying to be clever. I managed to get back most of my information, and fortunately it was the stuff it would have been difficult or impossible to replace, like in-progress artwork. All my bookmarks, however, have gone to the great big information graveyard in the sky, along with why Astro Boy fired bullets from his bum and who ever thought Vanilla Ice was cool.



The day after the computer crashed, I went out and bought an external back-up drive. Now off to del.icio.us I trudge, to reconstruct more than a year of accumulated bookmarks. I may have had a little trouble absorbing the lesson but I've decided I'm only going to learn it once.

1 comment:

Sleepydumpling said...

Del.icio.us is an absolute lifesaver. And once you get in the habit of clicking that little tag button each time you find a useful website, you'll never go back to browser favourites.