Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wikid

Geddit? Because it's about wikis but sounds kinda like 'wicked', so...aha hah ha....haaa *sigh*

Lame puns aside, I really liked the Book Lovers Wiki: we all know people love to get a recommendation before picking up a book. Doesn't matter who from, but we seem all seem to be far more inclined to give a book a go if we've gotten a thumbnail portrait of it from another. I'd really like to see something like that work in BCC libraries....actually, why limit it there? Why not an Aussie wiki of reviews? (It's at this point someone slaps their forehead and pens a comment pointing me to such a thing that already exists. Take that as a challenge if you will) I think it'd need a bit of staff contribution to get it up and running- people generally don't like being the first one to scrawl on the blank slate that is a brand-new wiki.

(But for some reason, you can't beat morons off with a stick when it comes to posting daft things like 'Whooo! 1st post!' in the comments fields of game websites. Sorry, where was I?)

Oh yeah, I also loved the Wookiepedia but candor compels me to admit I'd like it even if it was terribly designed. I just like Star Wars, okay? (Except for the three latest movies, but we'll pretend they don't exist and that Jar-Jar is just an extended bad dream we have yet to wake up from)

3 comments:

Nerd of the Library said...

Oh I SOOOO knew that you'd like that Star Wars Wiki. Me and Wikis are not great friends. (I'd much rather befriend a Woki!) Methinks that I wouldn't want anyone editing my precious work, hence, Wikis don't really do it for me.
Wokis on the other hand... are a much more amiable concept.
(P.s., There is a lot of staff swearing in the WR today about 23 THINGS. I think some ppl are having trouble).

Martine said...

But the arguements that arise from wiki edits are more fun than star trek vs babylon 5 debates or the microsoft trolls who pop up on the linux forums and post XP Rules!!!!

(for the uninitiated, a troll is someone who will deliberately make an inflammatory comment just to watch the fireworks. Whilst most people hate them I love them, much the same way I secretly love watching JerrySpringer)

Sleepydumpling said...

LibraryThing already has Australian content for reviews and books.

But I didn't slap my forehead.